terms and conditions
NOTICE TO PASSENGER: Below and attached to your Boarding Coupon, Passenger Ticket and (if contracted) Transfer Voucher are the terms and conditions of the Passenger Contract. Before accepting them, carefully read all the terms of the following Passenger Contract which contains important conditions and limitations including Clauses 20 to 26 which set out some of your rights, limitations of liability, court jurisdiction and time limits to file claims or to bring suit.
PASSENGER CONTRACT: Carefully read all terms and conditions before accepting them. Clauses 20 to 26 set out your rights and limitations to make claims. Please retain this document for future reference. TO REVIEW THE PASSENGER CONTRACT CLICK HERE
*MSC Cruises S.A. reserves the right to correct any errors, inaccuracies or omissions and to change or update fares, fees and surcharges at any time without prior notice.
All Vacation Packages featured in the Company’s brochure and/or in the Official Website are offered for sale by MSC Cruises S.A, hereinafter referred as the “Company”.
In these Booking Terms & Conditions the following expressions shall have the meanings defined hereunder:
- “Booking” means the steps taken by the Passenger to enter into a Contract with the Company.
- “Booking Terms & Conditions” means these terms and conditions and the information contained in the relevant Company’s brochure, the Official Website and/or other information which will form the express terms of your Contract with the Company.
- “Carrier” means the entity who has undertaken the obligation to carry the Passenger from one place to the other as indicated in the Cruise ticket, airline ticket or other ticket issued for any other applicable transport and is thereby indicated on such documents as “carrier”.
- “Company” means MSC Cruises S.A. whose registered address is 40, Eugene Pittard, CH-1206 Geneva, Switzerland who organizes Vacation Packages and sells or offers them for sale, whether directly or through a Sales Agent.
- “Conditions of Carriage” means the terms and conditions under which the Carrier provides transport either by air, road or sea. The Conditions of Carriage may refer to the provisions of the law of the country of the Carrier and/or international conventions which may limit or exclude the liability of the Carrier. Copies of the Conditions of Carriage of any Carrier are available to the Passengers upon request.
- “Combined Tour” means the combination of two or more Cruises prearranged by the Company and offered for sale as a single Vacation Package. For any relevant purposes, the Combined Tour shall always be considered as a single and indivisible Vacation Package. All terms and references to a Cruise and or Vacation Package shall include and be equally applicable to a Combined Tour unless otherwise stated. References to price are references to the total price paid for the Combined Tour.
- “Contract” means the contract concluded between the Company and the Passenger relating to the relevant Vacation Package which is evidenced by the issue of the confirmation invoice sent by the Company or its Sales Agent to the Passenger.
- “Cruise” means the transport by sea and the stay onboard a MSC Cruises vessel (as described in the relevant Company’s brochure, the Official Website or other documentation produced for or on behalf of the Company), which – if not purchased with pre- or post-Cruise services – can be considered by itself as an Vacation Package.
- “Disabled Passenger” or “Passenger with Reduced Mobility”; means any Passenger whose mobility when using transports is reduced as a result of any physical disability (sensory or locomotor, permanent or temporary), intellectual or psychosocial disability or impairment, or any other cause of disability or impairment or as a result of age, and whose situation needs appropriate attention and adaptation to his/her particular needs for the services made available to all Passengers.
- “Force Majeure” means any unforeseeable and unpredictable event out of the Carrier’s or the Company’s control including Acts of God (such as, flood, earthquake, storm, hurricane or other natural disasters), war, invasion, act of foreign enemies, hostilities (regardless of whether war is declared), civil war, rebellion, revolution, insurrection, military or usurped power or confiscation, terrorist activities, riots, civil disturbances, industrial disputes, natural and nuclear disasters, fire, epidemics, health risks, nationalisation, government sanction, blockage, embargo, labour dispute, strike, lockout or interruption or failure of electricity or telephone service and/or any unforeseen technical problems with transport including changes due to rescheduling or cancellation or alteration of flights, closed or congested airports or ports.
- “Vacation Package” means the Cruise whether or not in combination with flight(s) and/or any pre- and/or post-Cruise arrangement for accommodation. It does not include Shore Excursions or shuttle services which do not form part of the inclusive Vacation Package price.
- “Official Website” means the set of related web pages, documents and hypertext links served from the web domain www.msccruises.ca.
- “Passenger” means each and every person, including minors, named either on the Booking confirmation or on the invoice or on a ticket issued by the Company.
- “Sales Agent” means the person or travel agency that sells or offers for sale the Vacation Package put together by the Company, on its own or on behalf of the Company.
- “Tour Operator” means the person or travel agency that sells or offers for sale the Vacation Package put together by the Company, on its own or on behalf of the Company.
- “Shore Excursion” means any excursion, trip or activity ashore that is not included as part of the all-inclusive price of the Vacation Package and is offered for sale by the Company onboard its vessels.
- “World Cruise” means the tour of the world prearranged by the Company and offered for sale as a single Vacation Package. For any relevant purposes, the World Cruise shall always be considered as a single and indivisible Vacation Package. All terms and references to a Cruise and or Vacation Package shall include and be equally applicable to a World Cruise unless otherwise stated. References to price are references to the total price paid for the World Cruise.
Booking Procedure and Deposit
1.1 In order to proceed with a Booking, the Passenger must contact the Company or one of the Company’s authorized Sales Agents or representatives.
1.2 In booking for a Cruise, the person making the Booking confirms, agrees and accepts that all persons named in the Booking request and on the invoice have agreed to be bound by the Booking Terms & Conditions and that he/she has authority to accept these Booking Terms & Conditions on behalf of all the persons named on the Booking request and invoice.
1.3 Cruises 5 nights or less: non-refundable deposit of $99 per adult or $198 per stateroom (based on double occupancy). Cruises 6-14 nights: non-refundable $199 per adult or $398 per stateroom (based on double occupancy). Cruises 15 nights or longer: a non-refundable $300 per adult or $600 per stateroom (based on double occupancy) is due and payable by the Passenger at the time of Booking. For the World Cruise, a non-refundable deposit equal to 15% of the price of the Package is due and payable by the Passenger within the first week starting from the date of the booking confirmation.
1.4 A Booking will be completed and the Contract will be effective only when the Company accepts the Booking by sending a confirmation invoice to the Passenger or to the Passenger’s Sales Agent.
2.1 Every Vacation Package is subject to availability at the time of Booking. No Contract shall be made until the deposit or the full amount (according to the present Booking Terms & Conditions) is paid and the confirmation invoice provided to the Passenger.
2.2 Full payment is required no later than 90 days prior to departure. For the World Cruise, full payment is required no later than 120 days prior to departure.
2.3 If the Booking application is made within 90 days prior to departure, then full payment must be sent at the time of Booking.
2.4 If any Passenger fails to pay the balance 90 days prior to departure, the Company has the right to cancel the Booking without notice and levy cancellation charges in accordance with paragraph 13 below, whether the Vacation Package is resold or not.
Prices and Price Guarantee
3.1 No change to the Vacation Package price will be made within the 30-day period before departure or once full payment has been received by the Company.
3.2 The Company reserves the right to modify the Contract price at all times prior to those detailed in 3.1 above to allow variations for:
a) Air transportation costs;
b) Fuel costs for the propulsion of the vessel;
c) Dues, taxes or fees chargeable for services such as embarkation or disembarkation fees at ports or airports.
d) the exchange rates relevant to the Vacation Package.
Variations may be upwards or downwards. For paragraph a) any variation of the Vacation Package price will be equal to the extra amount charged by the airline. For paragraph b) any variation of the Vacation Package price will be equal to 0.33% of the price of the Cruise for every dollar of increase of the fuel per barrel (NYMEX Index). For paragraph c) any variation of the Vacation Package price will be equal to the full amount of the fees.
3.3 If the increase in the Vacation Package price amounts to more than 8% of the total Vacation Package price at the time of Booking, the Passenger will be entitled to cancel the Contract with a full refund of the Vacation Package price within the limits and to the extent of the amount effectively paid by the Passenger at the time of cancellation. Such right of refund does not include insurance premiums paid which are in no case refundable.
Cancellations, Delays and Refunds
(A) The Cruise Ship's operation is subject to weather conditions, mechanical problems, vessel traffic, government intervention, duty to assist other vessels or persons in distress, availability of berth facilities, and other factors beyond the Company's control. (B) The Company does not guarantee that the Cruise Ship will call at every advertised port or follow any particular route or time schedule. The Master and the Company shall have an absolute right to cancel, change or substitute the advertised schedule, ports, itinerary or route, or substitute other ships, without notice. If a scheduled port of embarkation is substituted, the Company shall determine and arrange transportation to the substituted port at no expense to the Passenger. (C) No part of the Fare is refundable, except as specifically provided as follows: (i) Before the Voyage begins, the Company has the right to cancel the Voyage for any reason without notice. In such event, The Company shall refund the full amount of the Fare received, and the Company shall have no further liability whatsoever. (ii) If the scheduled Voyage embarkation is delayed more than six (6) hours, the Company may arrange at no additional expense to the Passenger, such hotel accommodations as the Company deems appropriate until the Cruise Ship is ready to board. In this event, The Company shall have no further liability or obligation to the Passenger. (iii) After the Voyage begins, the Master may terminate the Voyage at any nearest port or at the next port of the itinerary. In such cases, the Company's sole liability shall be to make a pro-rata refund of the Fare received for any unused cruise days. The pro-rata refund will be calculated based on the number of whole days of twenty-four (24) hours that the Voyage is reduced. No pro-rata refund will be made for part of a day. The Company shall provide substitute transportation of its choice to the scheduled point of disembarkation. (iv) If the scheduled duration of the Voyage is extended, the Company shall have no liability to the Passenger, and the Passenger shall not be liable to pay any extra Fare. (v) If the duration of the Voyage is reduced, then the Company's sole liability shall be to make a pro-rata refund based on the number of whole days the Voyage is shortened by more than twenty-four (24) hours. In no event shall the Company be liable for consequential damages as a result of the cancellation, termination or extension of any voyage.
Cancellations and Changes By Passenger
|CRUISE < 15 NIGHTS||CRUISE > 15 NIGHTS|
|89 - 61 days prior to departure||Deposit Non-Refundable||109 - 61 days prior to departure||Deposit Non-Refundable|
|60 - 46 days prior to departure||50% Penalty||60 - 46 days prior to departure||50% Penalty|
|45 - 16 days prior to departure||75% Penalty||45 - 31 days prior to departure||75% Penalty|
|15 - 0 days until departure||100% Penalty||30 - 0 days until departure||100% Penalty|
|WORLD CRUISE 2019||WORLD CRUISE 2020|
|90+ days prior to departure||Deposit Non-Refundable
(15% of cruise fare)
|120+ days prior to departure||Deposit Non-Refundable
(15% of cruise fare)
|89 - 60 days prior to departure||25% Penalty||119 - 60 days prior to departure||25% Penalty|
|59 - 15 days prior to departure||50% Penalty||59 - 15 days prior to departure||50% Penalty|
|14 - 10 days prior to departure||75% Penalty||14 - 10 days prior to departure||75% Penalty|
|9 - 0 days prior to departure||100% Penalty||9 - 0 days prior to departure||100% Penalty|
|WORLD CRUISE 2021||MSC Yacht Club*|
|120+ days prior to departure||Deposit Non-Refundable
(15% of cruise fare)
|120 - 90 days prior to departure||Deposit Non-Refundable|
|119 - 60 days prior to departure||25% Penalty||89 - 60 days prior to departure||50% Penalty|
|59 - 15 days prior to departure||50% Penalty||59 - 30 days prior to departure||75% Penalty|
|14 - 10 days prior to departure||75% Penalty||29 - 0 days prior to departure||100% Penalty|
|9 - 0 days prior to departure||100% Penalty|
* MSC Yacht Club bookings made from December 16, 2018 and forward, for travel on/after January 1, 2019, will have the new Yacht Club cancellation in effect (listed above).
All penalties above exclude government taxes and fees.
A name change fee of $75.00 per name change will apply for any name change made within 89 days prior to sailing. Limit of 1 name change per reservation.
For the World Cruise, a non-refundable deposit equal to 15% of the price of the Package is due and payable by the Passenger within the first week starting from the date of the booking confirmation. Final payment is due 120 days prior to sailing. Cancellation penalty begins 119 days prior to sailing (15% deposit is non-refundable) up until your cruise. Please see above for the cancellation penalty policy, reflecting specific dates and the amount of penalty.
MSC Cruises reserves the right to retake unsold allotment space at any time. Sold allotment space is defined as staterooms for which MSC Cruises has received the required names and deposits.
No refund will be issued if a guest voluntarily or involuntarily does not show up for their cruise, is denied boarding for any reason including failure to possess required travel documents, passport or visa or terminates his/her cruise in progress. Cruise contracts are non-transferable. More than one name change or a cruise date change is considered a reservation cancellation and is subject to the above cancellation charges. Cancellation charges are assessed on total fares, which include cruise fare, air add-ons, hotel packages, and any other additional services arranged through MSC Cruises. Government taxes and fees will be refunded.
MSC Cruise offers vacation insurance at the time of booking. The company recommends that every Passenger should have adequate insurance which covers them sufficiently for cruise cancellation, medical assistance and expenses, loss and/or damage of luggage.
Non-Use or Part-Use of Ticket
Payments and Notices
Reservations can be made and accepted through any travel agency. In order to secure a confirmed reservation, a deposit is required. Final payment is due no later than 90 days prior to sailing or by option date if booking within 90 days of sailing. To avoid cancellation, the deposit or final payment must be received in MSC's office by the option date given at time of booking. Option dates can vary from one to seven days from booking date depending on sailing demand. In a few rare instances immediate payment by credit card may be required to confirm your reservation.
World Cruise 2019: Final payment is due no later than 90 days prior to sailing. A 15% non-refundable deposit is due within 7 days of making a booking.
World Cruise 2020 and forward: Final payment is due no later than 120 days prior to sailing. A 15% non-refundable deposit is due within 7 days of making a booking.
If the Ticket has been purchased through any travel agent, tour company, group, organizer traveling companion, or booking representative ("the Agent"), the Passenger authorizes the Company to give any notices and to pay any refund owed to the Passenger to the Agent on his behalf. The failure of the Agent to pay the full Fare to the Company is considered a breach of Contract by the Passenger when the Ticket has been purchased through an Agent. Such Agent shall be deemed in all respects to be the Agent of the Passenger and not of the Company.
Health and Fitness to Travel
Medical Services by Independent Contractors
Other Independent Contractors
Travel Packages and Shore Excursions
Passenger's Luggage and Personal Property
Force Majeure and Events Beyond the Company's Control
No Liability for Emotional Distress
Notices of Claims
Time Limits for Filing Suits
Additions to Fare and Surcharges
Use of Website
B) The Company does not make any expressed or implied warranties, representations or endorsements whatsoever with regard to the Company website or any information, services or product provided through the Company website.
C) The Company does not accept any liability for loss or damage of any nature whatsoever and howsoever arising out of or in connection with the viewing, use of the Company website or its contents whether due to inaccuracy, error, omission or any other cause and whether on the part of the Company or its servants, agents or any person or entity.