• Chef Niklas Ekstedt will headline new speciality restaurant Chef’s Garden Kitchen with an innovative menu full of fresh and natural ingredients for a farm-to-ocean concept
Michelin-starred chef, TV personality and author Niklas Ekstedt has collaborated with MSC Cruises to design the menu for the specialty restaurant Chef’s Garden Kitchen, focussing on the natural ingredients and a farm-to-ocean ethos. This new restaurant will feature the first-at-sea hydroponic garden and guests will be treated to a uniquely immersive experience with the master chef preparing Ekstedt’s extraordinary creations in an open kitchen against a backdrop of panoramic sea views.
Meanwhile award-winning brewmaster Teo Musso, who created the Baladin Farm Brewery, has worked with MSC Cruises to create a bespoke range of MSC signature craft beers that will be brewed at sea in the ship’s full-scale micro-brewery. The brewery will produce and serve the range of “Oceanic” beers made with desalinated sea water exclusively on board, offering a pils, a bitter and a wheat beer, to be enjoyed alongside classic pub snacks.
These partnerships bring together international experts in their field who have been carefully selected as they share common values with MSC Cruises, focussing on quality and passion, as well as working with carefully chosen ingredients. Thanks to the skills and knowledge of Chef Niklas Ekstedt and master brewer Teo Musso, these venues will offer a distinct and elevated experience that will set them apart, in line with MSC World Europa’s mission of redefining the future of cruising.
Chef Ekstedt shared: “Working with MSC Cruises to develop a new dining concept on MSC World Europa has been an exciting experience and we have created something really special and unique. The menu is rooted in my core philosophy that everything needs to start with the very best natural ingredients and as such the dishes are simple but full of flavour and will feature the hydroponic micro-greens that are grown in on board in the restaurant to enhance the flavours, texture and colours.”
Birra Baladin founder and brewmaster Teo Musso added: “I have always loved to experiment and be creative with my beers. This partnership with MSC Cruises was a gift, a chance to create not only three new beers but to do so in the most romantic of ways: at sea. The result is three totally new “Oceanic” brews, a pils, a bitter and a wheat, each with its own unique array of flavours. A chance for MSC Cruises’ guests to discover new tastes, just as they discover new destinations.”
CHEF’S GARDEN KITCHEN – A FOODIE OASIS
The Chef’s Garden Kitchen’s promises fresh and seasonal flavours, taking its cues from nature. Menu highlights include scallop ceviche, pickled kohlrabi, spruce, lingonberries, grapefruit or for a main dish seared Langoustine tails, carrots, finger lime, infused broth rounded off with a dessert of meringue, sea buckthorn, white chocolate, verbena.
Born in Sweden, the son of a produce seller, Niklas Ekstedt began his strong connection with nature and the Earth’s flavours at a young age. Modernising cuisine with art not technology, Ekstedt combines traditional Nordic cooking and preserving techniques with astonishingly creative combinations of rigorously fresh seasonal ingredients.
This close family bond spoke directly to MSC Cruises, which began and remains a family-owned and operated Company. As a key pillar of the brand, each ship is designed to welcome families of all sizes and ages for the best experience for all involved.
MASTERS OF THE SEA – CRAFT BEERS LIKE NOWHERE AT SEA
The Masters of the Sea pub has long been a favourite spot to grab a quick bite and to delight in the extensive beer list, but this will be the first time that it features an onboard brewery. For this undertaking, it was essential for MSC Cruises to choose a partner that would understand the complexities of brewing under complicated conditions, as well as someone who understood the brand’s vision and philosophy.
Birra Baladin is an Italian craft and farm brewery with its own blend of delectable flavours, as well as creative innovations and a history steeped in beautiful traditions. The founder and brewmaster Teo Musso is the visionary powerhouse behind the brand, considered the “father” of the Italian craft beer movement and an influential craft beer player, internationally. He introduced a new concept in the beer business, suggesting to restaurants to use beer as food pairing. He supports the Italian agricultural blockchain to certify the production of real craft beers Made in Italy. . His beers have gained cult status since their inception in the 90s and are still brewed just outside Teo Musso’s hometown (Piozzo) in Piedmont.
Once again, Teo Musso’s strong bond with his family struck a chord with MSC Cruises. He was raised by Italian farmers that taught him the values of natural ingredients and he has dedicated beers to both his children and their mother. Teo Musso’s values are a natural fit for the cruise brand, and so is his shared Italian heritage.
A TEMPTING ARRAY OF RESTAURANTS, BARS AND LOUNGES
MSC World Europa rounds up her list of gustatory venues with seven brand new bar and lounge concepts, as well as new dining locations, including:
• NEW! Coffee Emporium. This sleek and modern coffee house is a coffee connoisseur’s dream.
• NEW! Raj Polo Tea House takes a step back in time to turn-of-the-century India, where Indian and English tea traditions converge in a relaxing tropical setting.
• NEW! The Gin Project is a must-stop shop for gin aficionados with over 70 craft gins, with classic cocktails expertly prepared by gin-tenders along with a vintage Crawley’s shaker.
• NEW! Elixir - Mixology Bar is THE “It Bar” for cool and edgy cocktails, with expert mixologists creating handcrafted concoctions, featuring delicious Fever Tree mixers.
• NEW! Fizz - Champagne Bar elevates the bubbles experience from previous ships with a dedicated sumptuous lounge, offering an elegant atmosphere to enjoy decadent Champagne.
• NEW! La Pescaderia offers a fresh selection of seafood in a market-style setting, complete with a fresh fish display, where guests may choose their whole fish or from a selection of takeaway options. The restaurant prepares traditional seafood, complemented with a variety of Mediterranean mezze, and includes outdoor patio seating.
• NEW! Luna Park Pizza & Burger is a casual buffet, featuring bright ambiance and inventive design elements for all ages. The interactive experience includes family games and a fun menu featuring classic American fare from “coney dogs” and salted pretzels to funnel cake.
MSC World Europa will welcome her first guests from December 2022. She will spend her inaugural season in the Arabian Gulf region, providing the ultimate winter sun cruise experience, when guests will enjoy 7-night cruises from Dubai. The ship will sail to the nearby modern metropolis of Abu Dhabi, on to Sir Bani Yas Island, Dammam in Saudi Arabia and the breath-taking Al Ahsa oasis, a UNESCO World Heritage site, before heading to futuristic Doha, Qatar, and returning to Dubai with an overnight in the city to discover all the marvels it has to offer.
Departing Dubai on March 25, 2023, MSC World Europa will head to the Mediterranean Sea. In summer 2023, she will offer 7-night cruises calling at the Italian ports of Genoa, Naples and Messina, as well as Valletta in Malta, Barcelona in Spain and Marseille in France.
For more information about MSC World Europa, please click here.