MSC Cruises today announced that for the first time it will base one of its ships in New York and operate year-round sailings. The modern and glamorous MSC Meraviglia will homeport in the Big Apple from April 2023 for year-round cruises to the Caribbean, Bermuda, New England and Canada.
Geneva, Switzerland, 9 March 2022 – MSC Cruises today announced that for the first time it will base one of its ships in New York and operate year-round sailings. The modern and glamorous MSC Meraviglia will homeport in the Big Apple from April 2023 for year-round cruises to the Caribbean, Bermuda, New England and Canada. Many of the cruises from New York will visit Ocean Cay MSC Marine Reserve – the line’s stunning private island destination in The Bahamas.
The deployment is set to enhance MSC Cruises’ presence in the North American market by complementing the rich choice of ships and itineraries sailing from both Miami and Port Canaveral/Orlando in Florida and will give guests the opportunity to extend their holiday with a stay in New York either before or after their cruise.
Gianni Onorato, CEO, MSC Cruises, said, “New York is one of the most incredible and vibrant destinations in the world so by adding the city as a year-round homeport for MSC Meraviglia we are greatly enhancing our offering in North America. The itineraries will have a very strong appeal not only for our guests in the U.S but also for international holidaymakers and given the huge range of intercontinental flights to and from the Big Apple, these sailings will be accessible to guests from all around the world.”
“We designed our mix of itineraries to take advantage of New York’s geographic flexibility, so that our guests can soak up the sun in the Caribbean during the spring and winter seasons, head to Bermuda during the summer or go north to see Canada’s natural beauty in the autumn. And of course, for those guests that wish to discover New York there is the option to do so pre or post their cruise to really make the most out of their holiday.”
MSC Meraviglia will offer a wide variety of itineraries ranging from 6 to 11 nights and sales open tomorrow. Options are available for guests to book additional days before or after their holidays at sea to make the most of the city that never sleeps.
New York Itinerary Highlights:
• Caribbean itineraries of either 7 or 8 nights, featuring calls in Nassau, The Bahamas and Ocean Cay MSC Marine Reserve—MSC Cruises’ beautiful private island also in The Bahamas.
• Bermuda itineraries lasting 6 nights and offering three days docked at King’s Wharf combined with several relaxing days at sea.
• Northern itineraries of either 10 or 11 nights, featuring calls at Boston, Massachusetts; Portland, Maine; Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island; Halifax and Sydney, Nova Scotia; and Saint John, New Brunswick. 11-night itineraries include an additional call in Newport, Rhode Island.
MSC Cruises’ decision to deploy a ship year-round in New York is the latest example of the brand’s long-standing focus on the overall North American cruise market, which includes attracting more international holidaymakers and continuing to place some of its most advanced ships at U.S. ports.
Port Canaveral in Florida was added last year as a permanent homeport with a mix of 3, 4 and 7-night cruises aimed at maximizing options for international guests to enjoy the world-renowned mix of attractions in the Orlando area. To find out more about ships operating from both Miami and Port Canaveral visit here.
MSC Cruises is building the largest and most advanced cruise terminal in North America at PortMiami, which will be able to accommodate three of the line’s largest ships simultaneously once complete.
To ensure that guests get the most of their cruise holiday both ashore and once on board, MSC Cruises are developing new packages that offer guests a complete end to end experience. These full-service packages include a choice of convenient flights, a 4-star hotel with breakfast as well as other useful services such as pre-cruise excursion, cruise pre-check-in at the hotel, luggage service from hotel to ship cabin and private port transfers. These attractive packages will be available for MSC Meraviglia’s New York itineraries as well as other key embarkation ports such as Venice/Marghera, Monfalcone, Trieste, Athens as well as Miami and are designed to provide guests with a seamless and stress-free experience. This service is available for this coming summer season and will be available online both for direct guests as well as through our travel agent partners.
About MSC Meraviglia
At 315 metres long and 65 metres tall, with an impressive 19 decks and capacity of up to 5,700 guests, MSC Meraviglia is a holiday destination in its own right—packed with innovative features to provide an unforgettable experience:
• 10 different types of cabins to choose from, including solo cabins, popular balcony cabins, and stylish accommodations in the MSC Yacht Club – the premium ‘ship within a ship’ featuring butler service, along with exclusive restaurant, lounge and pool areas.
• Galleria Meraviglia, a promenade lined with shops, restaurants and bars that stretches more than 90 metres and lined with an impressive LED sky screen.
• 20 bars and 12 restaurants, including the popular Butcher’s Cut steakhouse and Kaito Sushi and Teppanyaki.
• Indoor and outdoor pools and hot tubs, together with a water park and ropes course.
• Different theatrical extravaganzas in our 985-seat theatre.
• The extensive MSC Aurea Spa, providing massage therapy, body treatments, facial treatments, and a dedicated thermal area.
• 557 square-metre gym featuring state-of-the-art equipment from Technogym™.
• MSC Kids’ Club for children from 0-17 years old, with dedicated areas for babies, toddlers, children and teenagers, plus the Lego® Experience.
MSC Meraviglia is fitted with innovative technology and solutions to minimize her environmental footprint. These include an exhaust gas cleaning system for cleaner emissions; an advanced wastewater treatment system; smart heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems to recover heat from machinery spaces; and LED lighting and smart devices to significantly save energy. This is part of MSC Cruises’ commitment to provide its guests with the best holiday experiences at sea in a sustainable manner.
To learn more about MSC Meraviglia, visit here.
Ocean Cay MSC Marine Reserve
MSC Cruises’ stunning private island destination in The Bahamas is the centerpiece of a breathtaking near 17,000 hectare marine reserve designed to connect guests with nature, making it the perfect spot to take a deep breath and relax. The island will be a highlight of many of MSC Meraviglia’s itineraries and offers white sandy beaches where chairs, umbrellas and cabanas await guests for a relaxing day of soaking up the spirit of The Bahamas while surrounded by sweeping panoramas of crystal blue waters at every turn.
Ocean Cay MSC Marine Reserve is home to the MSC Foundation’s Super Coral Program, which aims to develop and refine methods to reverse the decline in coral reefs. The Foundation is working with scientists from the University of Miami Rosenstiel School and Nova Southeastern University to pioneer methods for rebuilding damaged reefs with coral species that are more resilient to environmental threats like ocean pollution and warming.
To learn more about Ocean Cay MSC Marine Reserve visit here.